Protection of the environment goes hand in hand with efficient construction practices and operate as a core part of Best Build London’s values and principles. At Best Build London we consider it to be sound business practice.
In this policy statement we commit our company to:
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation, regulations and approved codes of practice
Protecting the environment by striving to prevent and minimize our contribution to pollution of land, air and water
- Seeking to reduce wastage of materials to as close to zero as possible by negotiating returns agreements with suppliers
- Maximising the efficient use of materials and resources
- Managing and disposing of all waste in an efficient and responsible manner by segregation of waste types and considering the carbon footprint of the waste transit cycle
- Providing training for our staff so that we all work in accordance with this policy and within an environmentally aware culture
- Developing our management processes to ensure that environmental factors are considered during planning and implementation
- Monitoring and continuously improving our environmental performance so as to provide the most cost effective and environmentally effective performance
During the building process we use environmentally products where possible:
- 100% recycled gypsum
- 100% NAUF MDF board
- Use of water based adhesives
- Minimise the use of VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) where possible
- Paint HAPS (Hazardous Air Pollutants) Free
- FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) approved wood wherever possible.
Best Build London strives to recycle and reuse wherever possible:
- Steel, lead, aluminum and copper are directly recycled.
- Wood pallets are either returned to supplier or recycled to mulch.
- All paper, cardboard and suitable plastics are separated and recycled.
- The largest by weight output for recycling is inert soil/gravel/sand from our basement digging operations. Currently we are excavating over 4,000m3 per year of materials and every extra cubic metre that we can get into the recycling chain massively reduces the impact of our activities.
- We have been highly successful in recycling gravels and some sands with our strategic partners. By having strict policies on site with respect to segregation we are able to recycle 85% by mass on gravel based projects with 90% of the overall arisings being classed as inert on most projects.*
In addition to these Best Build London set out to operate a minimal fleet of vehicles and the workforce are encouraged to use public transport/cycling is the transport of choice wherever possible.
Best Build London , have for many years been able to offer a pragmatic sustainable energy systems design and installation service. Best Build London over many years have sifted through the available technologies to find those that really do deliver long term benefits: sometimes the simplest things work best. Examples include:
- Solar thermal systems
- Rainwater harvesting
- Underfloor heating systems with room specific digital controls
- Solar photovoltaic solutions
- Grey water recycling
- Chlorine free pools allowing reuse of excess water.
*Figures correct as of 2012. Internal audit updated 2014